It’s amazing how much space cleaning old and unnecessary emails can generate. If you are someone who has more than 20,000 emails in your inbox, you can consider tidying up your mailbox. Especially when Google plans to put a 15GB limit on your Google account storage for your Google Drive photos, emails, and files. All of this, while you may have taken all that free storage for granted and probably forgot to delete your Gmail.
Deleting emails can be accomplished through the Gmail application. However, when you have thousands that you want to erase all at once, you will need a computer. Google on one of its support pages points out that you cannot delete all messages together from the Gmail application. To bulk delete emails from Gmail, follow the steps below:
– Open Gmail, enter your email ID and password.
– Go to inbox, here you can see tabs for promotional emails or social media emails (you have probably never opened the emails and they are in your inbox eating up your precious storage).
– Go to promotional, social or other tabs, depending on what you want to remove.
– Check the Select all option, it is a box in the upper left.
– You will have an option to “remove all (total number of messages) from that category”
– Select the option.
– Click OK to confirm, it may take some time for emails to be deleted.
To delete messages from the inbox:
– Click the down arrow at the top left
– You will see the categories of the messages you would like to delete, including all, none read, unread, starred, and not starred.
– Select the option you want to choose.
– Click the Delete button.
You can also delete emails based on date, file size, or sender by choosing advanced search option. You have to click the down arrow in the search bar and fill in the categories.
To delete large files:
– Go to the Gmail search bar, click on the down arrow.
– Fill in the size, for example, 20 MB, select the time window of the mails, for example, a month.
– All 25MB files will be displayed. Select all and delete if you want to delete all or you can backup your important files and then delete them.
You can also delete old emails in the same way by typing in the time range, depending on whether the email has an attachment and whether the email is unread.
All deleted messages go to Trash and remain there for 30 days. If you want to clean your trash and permanently delete emails:
– Select Menu or three lines in the upper left.
– Select Trash.
– At the top, tap Empty Trash Now.