If you plan to keep your Samsung device for a few years, your OEM has good news for you. They just announced that Galaxy devices released starting in 2019 will now receive at least four years of security updates. This means that your smartphone and tablet can have an extended lifespan, even when it reaches the point that they will no longer receive a major Android update. This also means that the most basic devices will continue to receive security updates beyond expectations.
To put things in perspective, devices will currently only receive monthly or quarterly security updates for the first two years of a device. The frequency actually depends on the device, as the high-end flagship devices receive monthly updates, while the cheaper ones only have a quarterly update. After a while, even premium devices are “downgraded” to a quarterly security update.
But now Samsung promises that Galaxy smartphones and tablets from 2019 and above will receive four years of “regular security updates.” However, it is worth noting that it was not mentioned whether it is monthly or quarterly, as the term is what they previously referred to for updates on devices that are still supported, but without the promise of a monthly or quarterly update. Still, this is a significant thing, expanding the most important security updates to four years.
Samsung users should also note that the promised updates refer only to security updates and not to Android OS updates. The standard at the moment is to carry the operating system update for up to two years of a device, although Samsung announced last year that some of its flagship devices will now receive “three generations of Android updates” starting with the Galaxy S10 and newer. , but not including the Galaxy A series.
As to four years of regular security updates, the following devices are eligible:
* Galaxy Foldable Devices: Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold2, Z Fold2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G
* Galaxy S Series: S10, S10 +, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20 +, S20 + 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21 + 5G , S21 Ultra 5G
* Galaxy Note series: Note10, Note10 5G, Note10 +, Note10 + 5G, Note10 Lite, Note20, Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 Ultra 5G
* Galaxy A series: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G , A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
* Galaxy M series: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
* Galaxy XCover series: XCover4s, XCover FieldPro, XCover Pro
* Galaxy Tab series: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7, S7 + tab