Tokyo Paralympic Video games
The Spanish ‘amphibian’ seeks new challenges in his sixth Paralympic Video games in biking after having received seven medals in swimming.
Only a few athletes can declare to be world champions, and fewer have achieved it in two completely totally different disciplines. It’s an achievement that he already has in his palm Ricardo Ten (Valencia, 1975), who attended EL MUNDO on the day previous to the grand opening of the Tokyo Paralympic Video games, the place he’s the Spanish standard-bearer with Michelle alonso. The now biking world champion, additionally treasures seven Olympic medals in swimming and is the Spanish ‘amphibian’, with a brand new problem in his sixth Paralympic Video games.
- Though you’ve got been taking part in the Video games since Atlanta ’96, have they got one thing just like the earlier ones?
- They’re completely totally different Video games from those I’ve skilled. They’re all the time a sports activities competition and with the state of affairs wherein now we have lived, the essence is misplaced, they appear like some other worldwide competitors.
- Additionally, you aren’t staying on the Olympic Village. How a lot of an effort is being on the opening ceremony in Tokyo?
- The reality is that it’s arduous, we’re 160 kilometers from Tokyo and it isn’t ultimate for the competitors, however the event deserves it. Being the flag bearer is the best pleasure of my profession.
- How is the step-by-step of the important thing day of a normal bearer going to be?
- We need to change little, we’ll practice within the gentle morning on the curler after which they decide me up for the three hour journey to Tokyo due to the site visitors. As quickly because the ceremony is over, we’ll return at daybreak, however at the very least now we have Wednesday to attempt to get better and relaxation.
- How do you address carrying the flag for the primary time in an Olympic stadium?
- The reality is that the bug of a Video games by no means goes away, whether or not you might be 20 or 45 years previous and extra being a normal bearer. It’ll be a bit unhappy to see it empty, however I favor to be optimistic and suppose that it’ll lastly be celebrated. I can say that I used to be the usual bearer of the Covid Video games.
- What have your fellow paralympics informed you after they noticed that you simply modified the swimming pool for the bicycle?
- It’s one thing humorous and peculiar as a result of there’s all the time the pique of seeing which self-discipline is more durable. Now the swimmers suppose that I’m having fun with rides and the cyclists inform me that I threw myself within the pool and bought medals on daily basis. I’ve stayed between two waters, I’m neither a swimmer nor a bicycle owner.
- Did you get uninterested in swimming?
- The reality is that I had entered a spiral of caring for the smallest element and seeing that the outcomes didn’t come out. You turn out to be a really obsessive individual and also you neglect to get pleasure from your self.
- Have you ever gotten an additional ‘life’ by getting into this new self-discipline?
- I’m a man who actually likes competitors and once I noticed that I used to be removed from having the ability to be on the high in competitions, motivation and ambition dropped. As well as, we should not neglect about age and younger individuals additionally got here asking for passage.
- Has your physique modified to adapt to the very best stage on the bike?
- Sure, in the present day a colleague confirmed me a photograph from 2001, I noticed myself and I stated: Mom, evidently I’ve eaten one other Ricardo Ten. I’ve misplaced greater than ten kilos and it reveals.
- The good day is the twenty sixth with the persecution within the veldromo. With what expectation does he arrive?
- We’re very excited, however it’s important to be practical and know that our rivals have additionally ready. Expertise tells me that there are all the time surprises and it’s important to have the day and anticipate the consequence. My aim is to return with a dangling medal.
- You may have been a luxurious spectator for the previous few Paralympic years. What evolution are you able to see?
- Paralympic sport is turning into an increasing number of professionalized and has nothing to do with what it was. Individuals must see that past incapacity we’re athletes.
- Does Spain nonetheless must take that step?
- Sure, though now we have maintained the financial funding, others are rising it and it has not been sufficient in comparison with different international locations wherein Paralympic sport is equated with the Olympic one.