The family tried to prevent the devices that kept the child alive from being turned off, but the treatment was suspended with the permission of the Justice this Saturday.
Archie Battersbee, 12, who had been in a coma for nearly four months in London, UK, died on Saturday. With irreversible brain damage, the boy’s family believes that he had an accident after making a viral challenge on a social network. The case also gained notoriety due to the legal fight between family members to try to prevent life support from being disconnected. The treatment ended at 12:15 local time.
“He fought to the end. I am so proud to be her mother,” Archie’s mother, Hollie Dance, told reporters outside the hospital.
On Monday, a UK court authorized the closure of the devices after doctors at the Royal London Hospital said continuing life-sustaining treatment was not in the boy’s best interest.
The family then submitted motions to the Supreme Court, the Court of Appeal and the European Court of Human Rights requesting the reversal of the decision, but the decision was upheld. The Supreme Court concluded that even if life support was maintained, the boy would die in the coming weeks from organ failure and heart failure.
The parents then requested that he be transferred to a palliative care unit, justifying that he would have a “natural death”, but the Justice did not accept the proposal. Experts argued that removal would only cause more suffering and even hasten Archie’s death.
The boy was found unconscious at his home on April 7 and has been hospitalized ever since. He was kept alive by a combination of interventions including ventilation and medication.
Doctors initially concluded he was brain dead, but the family insisted that treatment continue, saying the boy’s heart was still beating and he was holding his mother’s hand. The responsible team guarantees, however, that vital signs have never been recorded since the patient arrived at the hospital.
Hollie believes that her son was the victim of the challenge known as “Blackout Challenge”, viral on the Tik Tok social network, which consists of squeezing his neck until he loses consciousness due to lack of oxygen.
Following Archie’s death, Barts Health NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, issued a statement expressing solidarity with the family and praising the work of the team that cared for him.
“Our condolences and sincere condolences remain with them at this difficult time. We would like to thank the medical, nursing, and support staff in the pediatric intensive care department who cared for Archie. They provided high-quality care with extraordinary compassion in difficult and distressing circumstances. This tragic case not only affected the family and their caregivers, but touched the hearts of many across the country,” the statement read.
The post Archie Battersbee Accident: What Happened? – We explain appeared first on We Publish News.
It’s Auto Bot generator content, don’t trust bliendly
Reference from wepublishnews.com