Meghan Markle: This is the lawsuit you won against a British tabloid

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, won the remainder of her lawsuit against a British tabloid on Wednesday. The lawsuit was for copyright infringement against the publisher. This tabloid published a personal letter that Meghan wrote to her father, from whom she is estranged.

Meghan, 39, had already won most of her lawsuit against Associated Newspapers Limited, publisher of the Mail on Sunday and the MailOnline website.

The lawsuit was for the misuse of his private information and copyright violation against the American actress.

The tabloid published large portions of a letter that he wrote to his father after his wedding to Prince Henry in 2018.

In February, a Supreme Court judge ruled in his favor, saying that the publication of large excerpts from the letter was “manifestly excessive and therefore illegal.” The judge granted Markle’s request for a summary judgment to resolve the case, which means that he won that part of the case without going to trial.

The judge has ruled in favor of Meghan Markle

But the court had yet to decide whether Meghan was the “sole author” and copyright holder of the letter.

On Wednesday, the judge sided with Meghan’s lawyers regarding the remaining parts of her copyright claim.

“Most of what was published was about the plaintiff’s own behavior, her feelings of anguish over her father’s behavior, as she saw it, and the rift between them,” he said. “These are inherently private and personal matters.”

Meghan and Harry officially retired from their royal duties in March 2020 and moved to California with their young son, Archie. The couple have said that relentless scrutiny from the British press was one of the reasons they decided to leave the UK.

With information from The Associated Press

Related Articles

Latest Articles