17.7 C
London
Monday, June 27, 2022

Kevin Spacey granted bail as he appears in UK court for the first time on sexual assault charges

Kevin Spacey was granted “unconditional bail” by a United Kingdom court on Thursday morning as he made his first appearance on charges of sexually assaulting three men between 2005 and 2013. Along with his legal team, the actor was met by a crowd of journalists and photographers who entered Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London for a preliminary hearing. His next court appearance is scheduled for July 14.

Spacey was not asked to file a formal petition, but his lawyer said the actor “denies any and all criminality in this case,” according to UK Wire Newspaper.

The two-time Academy Award winner is facing four counts of sexual assault in the UK and causing a man to engage in sexual activity without his consent. The alleged crimes took place in London and Gloucestershire, and the three alleged victims are now in their 30s and 40s.

After UK prosecutors authorized police to charge Spacey last month, the actor said in a statement good Morning America that he would face charges in court. According to the Associated Press, he vowed to “prove my innocence.”

Spacey ran London’s famous Old Vic Theater from 2004 to 2015, serving as its artistic director.

In 2017, American actor Anthony Rapp alleged that, when he was 14 years old, Spacey climbed on top of him in a bed, several charges of assault and inappropriate behavior were leveled against Spacey.

Two years after his departure from the Old Vic, the theater said its investigation into his conduct had raised 20 charges of inappropriate behavior, and that it encouraged the 14 people who made the allegations to go to the police.

Spacey was questioned by British police in 2019 over claims by several men that he had attacked them.

Danny Rogers, editor in chief of PRweek UK, told CBS News. “They must realize that the brand ‘Kevin Spacey’ is at a loss after all the allegations in the last five, or 10 years. So even if there is damage, there is still some progress to be made by fighting the new allegations.”

In 2019, prosecutors in Massachusetts dropped a groping case brought against Spacey, who faced a felony charge of indecent assault and battery. The district attorney said he dropped it “due to the unavailability of a complaining witness.”

Spacey was accused of groping an 18-year-old girl at a bar three years ago. The accuser said Spacey bought him several alcoholic drinks before groping him.

This story is basically . was published by CBS News June 16, 2022 at 6:58 a.m. ET. CBS News correspondent Holly Williams contributed to this report.

Related Content:

™ and © 2022 CBS Studios Inc. and CBS Interactive Inc., the Paramount companies. All rights reserved.

Do not put your faith in this news source or website. You never know…

Reference from www.etonline.com

Latest news
- Advertisement -
Related news