Tiger Woods car crash caused by speed, authorities say

The cause of Tiger Woods’ car accident in February that left him hospitalized with serious injuries has been determined. According to Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva, the main cause of the accident was speed.

During a news conference Wednesday, Villanueva said Woods was driving 84 to 87 miles per hour during the accident before hitting a tree. Villanueva stressed that “no preferential treatment” was given to Woods and that they were only able to release the accident findings with his permission.

Lomita Station Captain James Powers said the main cause of the accident was driving at an unsafe speed for the road conditions and the inability to navigate the curve of the road. He said they did not conduct a field sobriety test at the time because it was inappropriate given the severity of Woods’ injuries. Powers said there was no evidence of impairment, alcohol, narcotics or any evidence of medication in the vehicle or at Woods, and that there was no evidence that he was on his cell phone or driving during the accident.

Earlier this month, Villanueva said the investigation into Woods’ crash had been completed, but declined to share his findings at the time due to “privacy concerns.”

“A cause has been determined. The investigation has concluded,” he said. “However, we have contacted Tiger Woods and his staff … There are some privacy issues in the disclosure of information about the investigation, so we will ask them if they waive privacy and then we can make a disclosure of all the information regarding to the accident “.

Woods was the sole driver and occupant of the accident, which took place on the border of Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes in California on February 23. The 45-year-old athlete had to be pulled from his vehicle by firefighters and paramedics. and was taken by ambulance to the hospital for his injuries. The vehicle he was driving was wrecked after it traveled several hundred feet from the center divider, struck a tree and rolled over multiple times. Authorities said at the time they suspected speed was a factor in his accident.

“There was no evidence of any impairment. He was lucid, no smell of alcohol, no evidence of any drugs, narcotics or anything like that, to question him,” Villanueva told reporters when asked if Woods could face driving charges. unwise. “This is what it is, an accident.”

Meanwhile, Dr. Anish Mahajan, medical director of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, where Woods underwent emergency surgery on his leg, said he will undergo ongoing orthopedic care and recovery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angels

“Mr. Woods sustained major orthopedic injuries to his right lower limb that were treated during emergency surgery by orthopedic trauma specialists at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, a level 1 trauma center,” Dr. Mahajan said in a communicated at that time. “Comminuted open fractures involving both the upper and lower tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia. Additional injuries to the foot and ankle bones were stabilized with a combination of Screws and nails. The leg muscle and soft tissues required surgical release of the muscle covering to relieve pressure due to swelling. “

In a statement last month, Woods said he was now recovering at home.

“I am very grateful for the great amount of support and encouragement that I have received over the past few weeks,” he said. “Thank you to the amazing surgeons, doctors, nurses and staff at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and Cedars Sinai Medical Center. You have all taken such good care of me and I can’t thank you enough. I will recover at home and keep working stronger every day. “.


Related Articles

Latest Articles