Prince Harry and Prince William’s relationship has definitely changed amid Harry and his wife, Meghan Markle, confirmed their departure on Friday as active members of the royal family after a one-year probationary period, a source told ET.
Buckingham Palace issued a statement on Friday confirming the news, noting that Harry and his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, had spoken about the decision. Queen Elizabeth shared that Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, would give up their royal patronages, as well as their honorary military appointments.
A source close to Harry tells ET that he is disappointed that he cannot withhold his honorary military appointments. As for Harry’s relationship with his older brother, the source says “it’s not where he was before.”
“However, they are brothers and they will support each other and are committed to coming together to honor the legacy of their late mother,” says the source.
As for when Harry will return to England to see his family, the source says that everything is up in the air.
“The Sussexes would definitely have been coming and going by now, but of course the pandemic changed things,” says the source. “When the world opens up again, there will be plans to come back and everything else. We just don’t know at the moment.”
The Sunday Times reported Sunday that 38-year-old William is “really saddened and genuinely shocked” by how his brother decided to exit royal life, in particular Harry and Meghan’s statement rejecting the queen’s statement. The queen’s statement read in part: “Following discussions with the duke, the queen has written confirming that by moving away from royal family work it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that a life of public service entails.” Harry and Meghan’s statement deliberately referenced the queen’s message, which said in part: “We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.” According to the British newspaper, William finds Harry and Meghan’s behavior “insulting and disrespectful” and is upset by the situation.
Meanwhile, a second royal source tells ET that conversations with Prince Harry and members of the royal family about their patronages began late last year and were conducted primarily by letter, and Harry was informed of the decision earlier. of this month. According to the source, Harry discussed matters with the Queen over the phone and the rest of the discussions were conducted through written communication.
“The review is now complete,” says the source. “Ultimately, it was up to the queen and the palace to decide who is the patron of the royal roles.”
However, several of Harry and Meghan’s charities and sponsorships announced their plans to continue working with the Duke and Duchess even after their departure, such as the Invictus Games Foundation, which helps wounded, injured, or ill military personnel and their associated veterans. The organization issued a statement regarding Harry’s participation, which reads: “We are proud to have the Duke of Sussex as our sponsor. The Invictus Games was founded by him, has been built on his ideas and he remains fully committed to it. Games and the Invictus Games Foundation. ”
For more on Harry and Meghan’s royal departure, check out the video below.