Morgan Wallen is speaking out amid his racial slurs controversy. The 27-year-old country singer posted a lengthy video to his Instagram on Wednesday, once again apologizing after he was caught in a video using the N word and other inappropriate language earlier this month.
Wallen begins by expressing that he has let a lot of people down, including his parents and son, noting that he had been waiting to say anything publicly because he wanted to first apologize to those closest to him.
“The video they saw of me was me at hour 72 of 72 of a dubbing and that’s not something I’m proud of either,” he said. “I disappointed so many people … I disagree with that … I also accepted some invitations from some amazing black organizations, executives and leaders to have real and honest conversations.”
He admits he was “quite nervous” about accepting the invitations, and explains that the people he hurt “had every right to step on my neck while I was down, not to show me any grace, but they did the exact opposite.”
Wallen added that her kindness inspired him to dig deeper and that he learned that “words matter.” “My words matter and that word can really hurt a person,” he said. “And at my core, that’s not what I’m okay with.”
He shared that this week he heard personal stories from black people who “honestly shook him up.” He said he came out of those discussions with deep appreciation and a clearer understanding of their words.
“I have many more things to learn but I already know that I do not want to add in any division,” he continued. “Our actions matter, our words matter, and I just want to encourage anyone watching to learn from my mistakes. There is no reason to downplay what I did. It is important.”
The country singer also revealed that he has been sober for nine days since the video came out and that the man in the clip is not “the man I want to be.” He added that he will be going off the grid for a while and taking control of his life.
“Finally, I have a favor to ask. I thank those who still see something in me and have defended me,” he said. “But for today, please don’t do it. I was wrong. It’s up to me. I take responsibility for this and fully accept whatever penalties I am facing.”
Wallen’s words came days after he was captured on video using the N word and other inappropriate language as he came home from a night out with friends. At the time, he issued a written statement, stating that he was “ashamed and sorry.”
“I used an unacceptable and inappropriate racial slur that I wish I could remove,” Wallen said in a statement delivered to ET. “There are no excuses to use this kind of language, ever. I want to sincerely apologize for using the word. I promise to do better.”
Soon after, the “Dangerous” singer was indefinitely suspended from his label, Big Loud Records, and dropped from WME. Countless radio stations removed Wallen’s music from their playlists, while CMT and the Country Music Association stated that they were in the process of removing his content from all of their platforms. Additionally, the Country Music Awards stated that they would remove Wallen’s eligibility from their next awards cycle.
The Nashville branch of the NAACP also said it was willing to meet with Wallen to brief him and educate him on the scale of his actions.
Meanwhile, other country stars such as Mickey Guyton, Maren Morris and radio personality Bobby Bones spoke about the controversy. Hear what they said in the video below.