The Super Bowl is just around the corner, and that means taking out the sandwiches and tasty appetizers to watch the game!
This year before the big game, Chrissy Teigen’s mother Vilailuck Teigen, aka Pepper Thai, shared her crispy chicken wings recipe, exclusively from her upcoming book, The Pepper Thai Cookbook: Everyone’s Favorite Thai Mom’s Family Recipes – with Babe Wines.
“Crispy, juicy wings seasoned with pepper and fish sauce are the king of party snacks in our house: Miles and Luna ask for seconds. John craves them when he’s watching football. Chrissy burns her fingers because she can’t wait long enough . cool down, “reads an excerpt from the cookbook. “I love them because they are so fast and easy, more time for the party.”
See the step-by-step recipe below for Pepper’s Crispy Chicken Wings.
- 3 pounds chicken wings, dried
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- Thai sweet chili sauce or spicy fish with garlic and lime
1. Place the chicken wings in a large bowl. Add the fish sauce, garlic powder, white pepper, and salt and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes (or refrigerate for 30 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, fill a wok, large heavy pot, or deep skillet with at least 2 inches of oil, making sure to leave a few inches of clearance from the edge. Heat the oil over medium heat to 370 F (use a deep-fry thermometer or test the oil by tossing in a small piece of bread or a grain of rice – if it sizzles immediately but doesn’t burn, you’re done). Place a rack on a baking sheet or line a plate with paper towels and keep it nearby.
3. While the oil is heating, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder. Sprinkle the mixture over the wings and stir until a paste forms, making sure all the wings are evenly coated.
4. When oil is hot, add 4-5 wings to skillet and fry until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. The color of the crust will tell you when they are done, so keep an eye on the wings and adjust the heat as needed while frying.
5. Drain wings on wire rack or paper towels and fry next batch. Serve hot with sweet chili sauce or, if you like it spicy, try the spicy fish sauce.
This recipe and more can be found at The Pepper Thai Cookbook: Everyone’s Favorite Thai Mom’s Family Recipes, available April 13, 2021. For more fun recipes, including Danny Trejo’s Killer Roast Beef Tacos, see below.